Thursday, September 18, 2008

The game that ended it all: Zelda: The Ocarina of Time



Every Nintendo fan has his or her favorite Zelda game. My personal favorite is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES, with a close runner-up being Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, so that shows you how out of touch I am Nintendo fans. Link to the Past had everything that made the original Zelda so great and kicked it up a notch - not a mere sequel to the original game, but a re-envisioning of it: fixing old game-play elements, tidying up less-developed areas, and all the while including the player in a unique narrative that spanned the gamut of heroes and legends.

Players took the role of Link, a pointy-eared but otherwise ordinary boy living with his uncle. One dark and stormy night, Link dreams of a princess named Zelda calling for help. He awakens to find his uncle wielding the family sword and shield, shaken and preparing for a late night rescue. Despite his uncle's command to stay put, Link follows him to the castle of Hyrule, where there is clearly something evil at work. Link sneaks inside only to find his mortally wounded uncle, who passes him the sword, and tells him to rescue Zelda. It's a classic opening to a story worthy of an epic game, and lacks in the pretentiousness so many game stories are obsessed with nowadays. The rest of the game follows suit, and although challenging, it engages the player in a way that few games at the time could. This is what made it my all-time favorite Super Nintendo game.

How much difference a generation makes, eh?

I'll save a full gripe of the N64 for later, suffice it to say that it had already ruined my other favorite Nintendo franchise (Super Mario Brothers) with a collect-a-thon of poorly controlling but nonetheless pretty 3D garbage. What's more, most other N64 offerings were ugly, blocky, polygonal low-res textured messes with choppy frame-rates to match. Still, when I heard that Zelda was coming out for the N64, I was excited: I loved the four Nintendo-produced Zelda games out at that time, and the last two (Link to the Past and Link's Awakening) had streamlined the franchise into something water-tight and exciting. I paid the $49.99 for the game well in advance of its release date, which I then began to see getting pushed back before my eyes. When it finally did come out, the price had gone up twenty dollars, but I got a free hat with it (whoop-de-doo). It now stands with Mass Effect as the two most expensive games I have ever purchased, and I have never finished either of them. That's right, I never beat Zelda:TOOT, and I never will.

Here's why:

GRAPHICS: No real complaints here. Though everything does look low-poly, low-texture, and washed out in a cruel and pathetic attempt at realism, that's pretty much par for the course since developers back then decided to make everything 3D on woefully under-powered equipment.

SOUND: Terrible. There are only a few voices in the game, all of them are repeated endlessly, and most are just those annoying "girly giggles" that ten-year-old Japanese school girls make and that all Japanese men seem to find disturbingly alluring. They do a good job on ambiance for the most part, and overall the sound effects are good, but the Legend of Zelda theme is nowhere to be found in this game. AT ALL. I'm sorry, but I'm not tired of it yet, and it's exclusion makes the game seem less epic and more malaise. I remember when Link pulled the Master Sword(tm) from the stone in A Link to the Past, and when the Zelda theme started afterwards I felt charged and ready. Almost all of the music in this game is stolen from A Link to the Past, but they didn't include the most important song, and I can't forgive it for that.

STORY: Remember when I was discussing A Link to the Past's story earlier? Most non-orphan people can relate to losing a loved one or a father figure. Young Link being left alone in a world that is out to destroy him is a powerful statement.

Now, contrast that to Zelda: The Ocarina of Time where you are avenging a tree. Let me state that for you again, just in case you think that was a typo: Link is avenging a talking tree when he sets out on his quest. There's nothing even remotely analogous to this in real life. I've had plants that have died, sure, but I've never cried out on the dark precipice to the night and said "by the power of Thor(tm), I will avenge you my hibiscus!" Not once. The game tries to make up for this by having Link live with a bunch of "lost boys" type elves, who are all pretty annoying to begin with, like self-sufficient first-graders. The tree is supposed to be the wise father figure, but it's a tree and can't move, so one has to wonder how good its parenting skills actually are.

In his journey to stop the "evil man" that is causing all the trouble in Hyrule, Link meets a plethora of friendly characters that basically amount to the enemy races in the previous games. Rather than fight them directly, now they just give Link pointless and irritating quests to waste his time. Personally I liked the earlier versions.

I struggled to keep my interest up until Link got the Master Sword(tm), the pulling out of which sends Link forward in time and ages him into an N*Sync-style douche bag complete with fingerless elbow-length gloves and an earring. This is where the game lost me because far be it for me to question the sword making him go forward in time, am I to understand that "young adult" Link has the diminutive mind of an eight-year-old? Or, if he's spent the last ten years in limbo training to become a master fighter, then why doesn't he know how to do anything significantly different than accessorize his wardrobe?

I still struggled on hoping that there would be some payoff to the whole thing, but by the time the fairy had told me to listen for the 79,898, 636,873rd time I just stop caring.

Ah yes, let's get to that:

FAIRY: Navi is to the player as Kryptonite is to Superman and good taste is to 50 Cent - they all want it to go away, but as soon as they come into contact it can be lethal to them. I would like to know what wonderful drugs the design "teem" (not to be confused with "team," as in people working together would eventually figure out that this was a bad idea) were sniffing when they decided to put a little voice in the game that pops in every other minute to let the player know that they're supposed to be going to the castle to see the princess. The problem is, it takes about five minutes to reach the castle which means that in an even number of minutes you'll hear it twice, and at the odd worst, three before you reach the castle gate. Once you have reached the castle and are attempting to navigate the streets to find the princess, the fairy then proceeds to tell you to find the princess. There isn't even an option to turn it off! I'm sure when gamers (note: not Nintendo fan boys) began to complain about this Shigeru Miyamoto just packed his ears with some $1000 bills that were conveniently lying around.

GAMEPLAY: Some would argue that TOOT's control scheme is revolutionary, I argue that it is convoluted. It's obvious that they were trying to do too much with what control they had, so they decided to take a share of it away from the player. Typically, there is one button that takes multiple actions whenever Link is in a certain position. While this does make the game easier to play on some level, it often devolves into trying to position Link so that he can access the one spot where the button changes actions.

The game's flow also seems less open than in the older games. The original Legend of Zelda and Zelda II were all about exploration. Zelda: A Link to the Past continued that tradition to an extent, allowing players to move around the environments at their leisure to look for items that might help them navigate to more complicated dungeons. This Zelda is strictly by-the-book: An item that you find in a dungeon will HAVE to be used to get to the boss, and will HAVE to be used to make the boss vulnerable so that you can hurt it. As before, you need to collect three things to get the Master Sword(tm), and there are three different temples that you must enter to find them. You can't move on to the next dungeon until you've completed the one that you're on. The roads to get to these dungeons are just that: roads. You can't deviate too much from the prescribed course, and even if there is more virtual landscape than in previous Zelda games it seems constrained. I mean, why even put the Hookshot(tm) in the game if the stupid thing can only attach to a few sparse surfaces throughout the map? It sometimes makes going forward difficult becuase the player has been trained not to rely on it because of its almost utter uselessness - they only use it as a last resort!

Finding heart containers has become more of a chore than a feeling of discovery, involving the ironically time-consuming task of travelling in time, and having the right item at just the right time, and just pads out what is essentially a really short game.

Battles are many, but significant battles are few, predictable, and not very interesting. Bosses are cheap, moving out of camera range and striking distance just to frustrate the player, who has to wait for "just the right moment" to strike, every time, because they have no inherently vulnerable spots. I remember in the Link to the Past, finding just the right weapon to tackle a difficult boss was fun, because bosses could be hurt by multiple weapons. With the advent of the 3D Zelda games, this seems to be a thing of the past.

OVERALL: I think that the worst thing about this game is that so many people like it better than the superior old ones, and that the 3D downgrade to the graphics was so immediately popular. So well was this game received that recent releases of 3D Zelda games all follow the same framework, with almost no originality other than art style or what gimmick Link uses to solve puzzles and navigate the world. Zelda: TOOT made me far more excited about Wind Waker, but after becoming similarly disappointed by it all I can say is this: if I want to experience the feelings of awe and exploration that I got from the original games, I now play Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series. It might lack some of Zelda's polish, but it's a helluva lot more fun to play.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

WHAT!? You never finishe OoT,you're pathetic.OoT is the best Zelda game made.Sorry if you can't understand the metaphor of the Deku Tree.And you don't like the graphics,I definitley prefer them to a birds eye view.You complain about Navi although it's obvious you didn't realise you don't have to answer.So what if some games had more Temples, these ones are far better than those in A Link to the Past.I've noticed that anyone who dosen't like OoT only complains about graphics,sound and Navi.The Graphics are good yet un-important,any 3D game with that story and control scheme would be great in my eyes.Why do you hate that they use ALTTP's music if you didn't realise they are in the same franchise and obviously showing some fans that they acknowledged a previous game.Some may get exited to hear a recognisable tune in a newer game.

Unknown said...

Ya why don't you cry some more. The graphics were fine for a Nintendo 64 game ok. And he didn't avenge the tree Ganondorf was destroying the world so he had to stop him. I know this may have confused your little brain so I don't hold this too much against you.

ARCWuLF said...

@Jack: I just never had any interest in finishing it. It just seemed like a watered-down retread of the games that I loved. Speaking of which, . My complaint about the music is that they re-used every tune from the other game EXCEPT the Legend of Zelda theme. Hearing that music would have made the whole thing a whole lot more bearable. Sorry if that wasn't clear, or that you forgot what I was referring to by the time you left your comment (I realize this was a long article and your attention span is probably not the greatest, as Nintendo has deprived you of the ability to solve puzzles not based on timing and reflexes). I do understand the metaphor of the Deku Tree, I just think that the emotional keying in A Link to the Past was superior in every way.

@connor: The name of the blog isn't "GameNice" or "GamePraise." But you're right: my brain is pretty tiny... but it's the size of Jupiter compared to the empty hole in your head!

Bosk96 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bosk96 said...

You dumbass,you show that you are ingorant.Link didn't do the WHOLE QUEST just to avenge a goddamn Deku Tree.He did it so he can save the world,and i find certain part of the games to be very creative and fun,like,being inside a tree,having a horse race,fishing,and whatnot.

Bosk96 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared said...

To be honest, that was too painful to read. I like all the zelda games equally. old ones, new ones etc. save zelda 2. But you really are looking at OoT ALL WRONG. Stop nitpicking every little thing. Graphics: I have to agree with Jack, graphics are only a PART of the game. Had you patiently finished the game you would've realized how minuscule graphics are ESPECIALLY for this game...Listen to the music, the few old songs, the MANY new ones, OoT had almost 100 tracks...Listen to the wisdom of "Sheik" many times as adult link, I don't actually know but I assume these words were written by none other than Mr. Miyamoto. These sayings are brilliant, inspiring, influential. Sheiks theme was also one of many of Mr. Kondo's masterpieces. Sound: who cares if anyone talks or just makes noises? it's not like reading takes away from the experience. Although one of the only things me and you seem to agree on is the absence of the main theme being lame, OoT DID NOT steal most of ALTTP music, just carried over a few of the big ones...that have become some of the many recurring themes we've all come to love...Story: FFS the deku tree is just a character...There's nothing wrong with the story, it's similar to most zelda games with little changes here and there. Don't be afraid to expand your mind and think outside the box, it's more or less a requirement for this series. Fairy: this part really trips me up. Everyone hates navi, but for some reason I wasn't really bothered by her, AT ALL. Maybe it's just that I'm a calm, relaxed guy, who knows? but I was never bothered by navi once... Gameplay: The game is never a dull moment, whether it be fighting monsters, solving puzzles, looking for treasure, or just doing a minigame, lots of fast action. Running, climbing, swimming, fighting, shooting it goes on...slices to side jump backflip to dodge shoot with bow or hookshot...was it really that hard to get link in that "one spot" to get the action icon? saying that this game isn't about exploration is simply rubbish. Also, you'd be suprised how many places the hookshot sticks, it's all a matter of stumbling onto it. OoT a short game? HAH it is an adventure of a lifetime...it's one of the few games I wish I could forget everything about it and play again...Overall:In my honest opinion, I really don't like any of the games more than the others. None are superior. They all share similar features and debut their own unique characteristics. Brother, as one gamer to another, PLEASE,at least finish the game before you knock on it so hardcore...I only recently discovered it in November 2010 and it with the help of several other factors changed my life forever...how you may ask? I can't really explain it all here I'm sure. probably would run out of room. I simply think and act totally different. Zelda games are fun, they are challenging, they make you think, but my foggy memory can only remember a few pieces of media/art that inspired me to be a better person. "A memory that doesn't change is one of better days" "Time passes, people move, like a rivers flow, it never ends." Those are the only sayings of sheik that I can remember. God, so poetic, so beautiful, I wonder who wrote that? had to be Mr. Miyamoto.

ARCWuLF said...

Never let it be said that I do not respond to comments.

@Bosk96: Because you obviously can't understand what I said in the article, let me reiterate it for you. I KNOW THAT LINK DOESN'T DO THE WHOLE QUEST TO AVENGE THE DEKU TREE, but it is undeniably what sets the first act in motion. Link didn't go through the entire A Link to the Past to avenge his uncle either, but I can at least relate to that! Riding Epona is fine, but there's hardly anywhere to go on her, and I challenge you to find one Japanese RPG since 1997 that doesn't have a fishing game in it.

@Jared: Dude, I understand what you're saying, but listen to what I'm saying: I can't eat cooked carrots. The taste triggers a gag reflex, and I get extremely nauseous. I don't need to eat the whole can in order to know that I don't like it. The things I value in a Zelda game: a story that isn't condescending, lots of environmental exploration, and a certain loose weapons model, hasn't been a part of this franchise since this game was made, there isn't anything in it for me and as far as I am concerned it has poisoned the franchise. I could rip on any of the post-TOoT Zelda games in the same way - I've played nearly all of them, but I just lose interest after the 20th hour or so. By comparison, I have spent over 255 hours playing three Elder Scrolls games because they offer me more of what I want (well, except Oblivion). Would I like to like Zelda again? Yes, but I just don't see that happening as long as they stick with this formula.

This is one of those games that gets a "free pass" as far as the public is concerned. It isn't that good, it's terribly over-hyped, and if you say the emperor has no clothes the people get upset. You are welcome to your opinion - after all, you're not making me play this game, and perhaps for some reason that I cannot see you do genuinely enjoy it -- but I will lump it with the Mass Effects, Call of Duty: Modern Warfares, and the like.